Tubahumurize Association is looking for a dynamic, mature and creative volunteer to assist with our organization’s ongoing activities in Kigali, Rwanda. Click here to apply!
Tubahumurize is a grassroots NGO that empowers female survivors of violence in Rwanda through trauma counselling, micro-credit loans and a sewing school and cooperative. We are in need of an impact-driven volunteer with an eye for design and an interest in social entrepreneurship to bolster our mission. Our ideal volunteer would be able to assist with some of the following elements:
High Priority Areas:
- Developing web content, providing English e-mail assistance, generating creative social media and producing marketing materials for use in Rwanda, North America and Europe.
- Market Expansion
- Reaching new markets with our cooperative’s sewing products. This includes local (restaurants, hotels and boutiques in Kigali), international (craft fairs, shops, markets, etc.) and online markets.
- Product Design and Sales
- Generating new, creative designs for our sewing cooperative to produce and sell to the aforementioned markets. See catalogue for examples.
- Support in professionalizing the sale of products at the Association and handling occasional online sales as well.
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Researching and documenting the impact of our organization’s programs to date, and framing results in terms most meaningful to potential funders or donors.
- Program Support, where appropriate
- Interested volunteers are sometimes invited to sit in on trauma counselling sessions and to conduct field/home visits. All volunteers are welcome to provide lessons to our beneficiaries. Past lessons have included: English, choir, first aid, hygiene, yoga, fitness, and art.
- Grant Writing
- Finding new grants and drafting grant applications to further support our work.
Note: We don’t expect you to have experience in all of these domains. In your application, please specify what you would be interested in and how your academic and/or professional background would benefit Tubahumurize from your time.
Required Skills and Experience
- Previous experience working with vulnerable populations and a demonstrated sensitivity to the challenges faced by many of our beneficiaries
- A strong ability to self-motivate, to independently manage multiple projects at once and to handle competing priorities with a high level of autonomy and self-direction
- The ability to seek out help, guidance and supervision as needed
- A clear sense of what skills may be contributed to support our mission and ongoing projects
- Creativity for social media, web content and market expansion
- Exemplary professional etiquette, a positive attitude and a patient demeanor
- Demonstrated creativity and entrepreneurial spirit
- Humility and curiosity
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- At least basic French language skills (as our staff prefer to speak in French but do speak some English)
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience (work, internships, volunteering, studies) in Rwanda or East Africa
- Strong skills in Microsoft software and experience with Google Suite, WordPress, Mailchimp, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, PayPal and Etsy
- Academic background in international development, business, design, social entrepreneurship, communications, social work, gender studies or another relevant field
- French, Kinyarwanda or Kiswahili
- The start date is flexible. If you are already in Rwanda, please contact us directly!
- The ideal candidate would be able to commit a minimum of three months to the position, though this may be negotiable, depending on the scope of the proposed initiative.
- The volunteering is unpaid. All other costs (travel, food, incidentals, etc.) must be covered by the volunteer.
- Due to the sensitive nature of our work, we only accept female interns, typically over the age of 25.
- Interested applicants are asked to fill out this form. After you submit your application, we will be in touch. Please be ready to provide a copy of your CV in either French or English. You may be contacted to interview via Skype or Telephone.
- Because we work with a vulnerable population, it is our policy to contact at least two references for each eligible applicant. Please provide the contact information (phone number and e-mail address) for two professional references who can speak to your maturity and skillset in the aforementioned form.
Want to know more about what it would be like to live in Rwanda? Check this out!