Tubahumurize Association’s unique approach to women’s empowerment and social development shapes both whom and how we help and informs every aspect of our programming.
Whom do we help?
- We operate at the grassroots level, where we can have a direct and meaningful impact on individuals.
- We focus our efforts on helping Rwanda’s most vulnerable women, namely, victims of violence.
- We serve women regardless of their age, ethnic background, or religion.
- We know that when we help women, we are also helping their dependents and contributing Rwandan society now and for the future.
How do we help?
- We blend traditional and modern counselling methods.
- We take a whole-person approach to empowerment because we know that our beneficiaries’ mental, physical, emotional, spiritual and financial wellness are interconnected.
- We seek to understand and to respond to the unique circumstances of each beneficiary’s life.
- We build on women’s existing strengths and assets.
- We draw upon women’s ability to help and support one another. Our group counselling program breaks patterns of isolation, builds reciprocal relationships, and creates communities of healing.
- We support a journey from healing to empowerment. Counselling is the beginning, but not the end, of this journey. Women often first come to Tubahumurize in crisis, and begin by participating in our group or individual counselling program. As their mental health improves, they begin to participate in our other programs which are designed to empower them to take charge of their lives in new ways, including educational workshops and access to micro-credit loans.
- Where possible and appropriate, we support family cohesion, reconciliation and social integration.