Tubahumurize Association is looking for a dynamic, mature and skilled intern to assist with our organization’s ongoing activities in Kigali, Rwanda. Click here to apply!
We are currently looking for an intern to assist with the following elements:
- Developing web content, providing English e-mail assistance, generating creative social media, publishing participatory e-newsletters and producing marketing materials for use in Rwanda, North America and Europe.
- Grant Writing
- Finding new grants and drafting grant applications to further support our work.
- Market Expansion
- Reaching new markets with our co-op’s sewing products. This includes local (restaurants, hotels, boutiques, etc.), international (craft fairs, shops, markets, etc.) and online markets.
- Product Design and Sales
- Generating new, creative ideas for our sewing cooperative to produce and sell to the aforementioned markets.
- Researching and generating recommendations on the optimal price point for our products for domestic and international markets.
- Support in conducting the sale of products at the Association and handling online (via Etsy) sales and shipping is also needed.
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Researching and documenting the impact of our organization’s programs to date, and framing results in terms most meaningful to potential funders or donors.
- Program Support, where appropriate
- Interested interns are sometimes invited to sit in on trauma counselling sessions and to conduct field/home visits. All interns are welcome to provide lessons to our beneficiaries. Past lessons have included: English, choir, first aid, hygiene, yoga, fitness, and art.
Note: We don’t expect you to have experience in all of these domains. In your application, please specify what you would be interested in and how your academic and/or professional background would benefit Tubahumurize from your time.
Required Skills and Experience
- Previous experience working with vulnerable populations and a demonstrated sensitivity to the challenges faced by many of our beneficiaries
- Previous experience in a post-trauma context
- A strong ability to self-motivate, to independently manage multiple projects at once and to handle competing priorities with a high level of autonomy and self-direction
- The ability to seek out help, guidance and supervision as needed
- A clear sense of what skills may be contributed to support our mission and ongoing projects
- Proven computer skills and basic web development knowledge
- Creativity – social media platforms and markets
- Exemplary professional etiquette, a positive attitude and a patient demeanor
- Demonstrated creativity and entrepreneurial spirit
- Humility and curiosity
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- At least basic French language skills (as our staff prefer to speak in French but do speak some English)
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience (work, internships, volunteering, studies) in Rwanda or East Africa
- Strong skills in Microsoft software and experience with Google Applications, WordPress, Mailchimp, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, PayPal and Etsy
- Academic background in international development, business, design, social entrepreneurship, communications, social work, gender studies or another relevant field
- French, Kinyarwanda or Kiswahili
- The start date for the internship is negotiable. If you are already in Rwanda, please contact us directly!
- The ideal candidate would be able to commit a minimum of two months to the position, though this may be negotiable, depending on the scope of the proposed initiative.
- The internship is unpaid. All other costs (travel, food, incidentals, etc.) must be covered by the intern.
- There is the possibility of free housing at the Tubahumurize Centre, for those who are interested. We can also advise on other inexpensive housing options in the city of Kigali. (Previous interns have generally preferred living off-site, as this provides a richer cultural integration experience.)
- Due to the sensitive nature of our work, we only accept female interns, typically over the age of 25.
- Interested applicants are asked to fill out this form. After you submit your application, we will be in touch. Please be ready to provide a copy of your CV in either French or English. You may be contacted to interview via Skype or Telephone.
- Because we work with a vulnerable population, it is our policy to contact at least two references for each eligible applicant. Please provide the contact information (phone number and e-mail address) for two professional references who can speak to your maturity and skillset in the aforementioned form.
Want to know more about what it would be like to live in Rwanda? Check this out!