Tubahumurize Association is looking for a dynamic, mature and skilled intern to assist with our organization’s ongoing activities in Kigali, Rwanda.
We are currently looking for an intern to assist with the following elements:
- Developing web content, providing English e-mail assistance, generating creative social media, publishing participatory e-newsletters and producing marketing materials for use in Rwanda, North America and Europe.
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Researching and documenting the impact of our organization’s programs to date.
- Grant Writing
- Finding new grants and drafting grant applications to further support our work.
- Market Expansion
- Reaching new markets with our co-op’s sewing products. This includes local (restaurants, hotels, boutiques, etc.), international (craft fairs, shops, markets, etc.) and online markets.
- Product Design and Sales
- Generating new, creative ideas for our sewing cooperative to produce and sell to the aforementioned markets. Support in conducting the sale of products at the Association and handling online (via Etsy) sales and shipping is also needed.
- Program Support
- Interested interns are sometimes invited to sit in on trauma counselling sessions and to conduct field/home visits. All interns are welcome to provide lessons to our beneficiaries. Past lessons have included: English, choir, first aid, hygiene, yoga, fitness, and art.
Note: We don’t expect you to have experience in all of these domains. In your application, please specify what you would be interested in and how your academic and/or professional background would
Required Skills and Experience
- Previous experience working with vulnerable populations and a demonstrated sensitivity to the challenges faced by many of our beneficiaries
- Previous experience in a post-trauma context
- Ability to self-motivate, manage multiple projects at once and handle competing priorities
- A clear sense of what skills may be contributed to support our mission and ongoing projects
- Proven computer skills and basic web development knowledge
- Exemplary professional etiquette, a positive attitude and a patient demeanor
- Demonstrated creativity and entrepreneurial spirit
- Humility and curiosity
- Excellent communication skills in English and/or French (our staff prefer to speak in French but do speak some English)
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience (work, internships, volunteering, studies) in Rwanda or East Africa
- Strong skills in Microsoft software and experience with Google Applications, WordPress, Mailchimp, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, PayPal and Etsy
- Academic background in international development, business, design, social entrepreneurship, social work, gender studies or another relevant field
- French, Kinyarwanda or Kiswahili
- The ideal candidate would commence their internship in August or September, 2016, but this is negotiable. If you are already in Rwanda, please contact us directly!
- The ideal candidate would be able to commit a minimum of two months to the position, though this is negotiable, depending on the scope of the proposed initiative.
- The internship is unpaid, but there is a possibility for the intern live at the center free of charge. All other costs (travel, food, incidentals, etc.) must be covered by the intern.
- Due to the sensitive nature of our work, we only accept female interns, typically over the age of 25.
- Interested applicants are asked to fill out this form. After you submit your application, we will be in touch. Please be ready to provide a copy of your CV in either French or English. You may be contacted to interview via Skype or Telephone.
- Because we work with a vulnerable population, it is our policy to contact at least two references for each eligible applicant. Please provide the contact information (phone number and e-mail address) for two professional references that can speak to your maturity and skillset in the aforementioned form.